This Garlic Bread Crusted Salmon makes an easy and tasty centerpiece for your family table!
Salmon has become a bit of a staple at our house. In my unrelenting effort to reduce how much meat we eat, I’m trying to get us to one veggie day a week and one fish day.
Salmon tends to be the fish of choice because I know everyone will eat it. So when I see sides of salmon on offer at the supermarket, I always grab one.
Sometime I’ll cut it up into portions, but this time I decided to cook the whole thing. It would have been lovely to have served it on a platter on the table – but unfortunately we’re still without a table!
It should be delivered tomorrow, so I can’t wait to get everyone eating there again and saving dinners-on-laps for the occasional movie night treat.
I was thinking of doing some kind of crispy, herb topping for the salmon, but then I was reminded of the garlic bread spaghetti I made a while back. If you’ve haven’t seen the recipe, it involves putting a garlic baguette in the food processor and pulsing it until it turns to crumbs. Then crisping the crumbs in a pan and serving with spaghetti and chilli and parmesan. Simple perfection.
I went with the same approach for the salmon. Blended up the garlic bread (I added a little paprika for a richer colour) and topped the salmon that already been brushed with a little bit of olive oil.
I wanted a little oil on the salmon make sure the crumbs stick. No more oil is required, as there’s already butter in the garlic bread. You probably won’t need to season either – as the garlic bread already contains salt and garlic.
Oven cook until the salmon is just done and the breadcrumbs are crispy, then sprinkle with some lemon zest.
I served it with a roasted veg and cous cous and it was a total hit (I even saved some for a lunchtime salad the next day).
Hmmmm now I need to do some more recipes with this garlic bread topping!! I’m thinking lasagne soup, mac n’ cheese and maybe as a coating for mashed potato cakes!
- 1 kg (bout 2.2 pounds) boneless side of salmon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic baguette, refrigerator temperature
- ½ tsp paprika
- Small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 170c/325f.
- Place the salmon, skin-side-down on a large bakng tray. Brush the oil on the salmon.
- Place the garlic baguette in a food processor with the paprika. Pulse until it turns to breadcrumbs.
- Spoon the breadcrumb mixture over the salmon. Push onto the salmon slightly with your hands so the curmbs stick to the oil.
- Place in the oven, uncovered and bake for 25-30 mins - until the salmon is just cooked in the middle and the crust is golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and top with chopped parsley and lemon zest. Serve with roasted veg and cous cous or potato wedges if you like.