Cheesy Pasta Bake With Chicken And Bacon – a family favourite (and it makes great leftovers too!).
Not a lot can beat a lovely cheesy pasta bake served up with a big side of salad (obviously that makes it healthy…….)
It’s one of those dinners that the kids can polish off in no time – regardless of how many veggies I sneak in there.
Peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach – it all gets thrown in.
Sometimes I’ll add courgette or kale. If I’m being extra sneaky I might add some finely chopped mushroom too (I’m the only mushroom lover in our house – but they all eat mushrooms if they can’t identify them hee hee hee!).
I like it cold for lunch the next day too – although you can heat it up in the microwave with a tablespoon of water – to stop it drying out.
I sometimes wonder if I could eat pasta every day of the week and not get bored of it.
Monday: I’ll kick-off with the chicken and bacon pasta bake.
Tuesday: Cajun Chicken Pasta
Wednesday: One Pan Lasagne Soup
Thursday: One Pot Garlic Chicken Pasta
Sunday: One Pan Spaghetti and Meatballs
Do you have a favourite pasta dish? I’d love some new ideas for my pasta addiction 🙂
I first made this recipe for DIYs.com
- 400g (4½ cups) dried pasta shapes (I used rigatoni)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins chopped tomatoes
- 120ml (½ cup) double (heavy) cream
- 100g (3 packed cups) fresh baby spinach
- 8 rashers cooked bacon, chopped
- 100g (1 packed cup) strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g (1 packed cup) mozzarella, grated
- Small bunch parsley, roughly torn
- Preheat the oven to 190c/375f. Boil a large pan of water and cook the pasta for 1 minute less than recommended on the pack. Drain.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat the oil on a medium heat, in a large frying pan. Add the chicken, and cook until just sealed - about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the onion is softened. Add the chopped peppers, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato puree, oregano and thyme. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes and cream, bring to a gentle bubble, then add the pasta, spinach and cooked bacon. Stir everything together, then transfer to a large baking dish.
- Top with the cheddar and mozzarella, and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and top with parsley before serving.