Juicy griddled Cajun chicken with veggies and rice – ready in 30 minutes!
Have you ever looked at the ingredients in Cajun spice mix?
I honestly never had, but then it occurred to me that the flavour is so unique there must be some special ingredient in there that I’d never tasted before on its own. Maybe a dried root grown on a remote island, under the branches of the boojimana tree (totally made that up) that can only be harvested 3 days a year.
We’re talking salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme and red pepper flakes.
I have all of those things in my cupboard!
Not that I can be bothered to actually grind them all up – I’m with the store bought stuff all the way.
It does go to show though, that a little bit of spice alchemy can produce something that doesn’t taste like you’d expect – based on the individual parts.
I wonder how many amazing and surprising spice blends there are out there.
I think I need to go on a mission!
Ok, I’m gonna stop rabbiting on now. Sorry, I’m having one of those days where every thought just goes off at a tangent (squirrel!!).
This recipe is packed full of flavour – mostly from that magic Cajun spice mix, but also with a helping hand from some jazzed up rice.
Get the chicken going on a griddle pan to get those lovely charred lines and juicy meat.
I also love to add peppers and onions, then griddle them just long enough to bring out the sweetness.
Throw on some chopped avocado whilst plating up and you have a really delicious and quick meal that’s nutritious too.
Right, I’m off to look up the ingredients of my dukka, ras el hanout and Za’atar now. I lead such an interesting life 🙂
My recipe for Cajun Chicken with Coriander Lime Rice first appeared in Superfood Magazine.
- 150g (3/4 cup) dried long grain rice
- 1 and ½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 and ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and sliced
- Small bunch coriander (cilantro) roughly torn
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, peeled, de-stoned and chopped
- Boil a large pan of water, add the rice and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is tender. Pour into a sieve and leave to drain.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, heat a cast iron griddle pan on a high heat and brush on a little oil.
- Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning and pour half the oil on the chicken breasts and rub it in using your hands. Flatten the chicken breasts slightly with your hands and place on the hot griddle. Cook for 7-10 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is charred and no longer pink in the middle. Place on a chopping board to rest whilst you cook the vegetables.
- Brush the rest of the oil on the griddle and place the peppers and onion on in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning a couple of times, until lightly charred.
- By now the rice should be cooked and drained. Fluff it up with a fork and stir through the coriander and lime zest.
- Divide the rice between two bowls. Cut the chicken breasts into slices and place on top of the rice. Add the char-grilled peppers and onion and top with the chopped avocado.
Tools used (fyi these are Amazon affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps me to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running x)
|Cast Iron Griddle|