Crunchy coated chicken in a hot, sweet and sour sauce – so so tasty!
Oh man I love this meal. It’s based on the crispy chilli beef recipe (Chris’ number one request at dinner time) that I got from the BBC Good Food website years ago (the recipe isn’t on the site anymore). Today I’m changing it up a little with chicken for a slightly lighter version.
As a blogger, I create a lot of different recipes for Kitchen Sanctuary and for other websites too. That means we’re usually eating something different at least 3 or 4 times a week.
This recipe (and the beef version) is one of those old favourites on my regular recipe rotation list for those days I don’t have to cook up something new.
I also make it with leftovers. If we have a roast dinner and there’s leftover cooked chicken/beef/pork and even lamb, we cut it into thin slices and freeze, ready for making an even quicker version of this meal.
This was one of the recipes I made when OvenPride came round last week (the video is sponsored by Ovenpride). We’ve only got a few more recipes to go until I finish working with them – at least for a while anyway.
Well we’re hopefully starting some building work and a kitchen remodel in May or June (squeeeeee!!), so I think the kitchen’s going to be a bit of a mess for a while (nothing new there!).
I’m hoping I’ll still have a hob to cook on, otherwise I might be posting microwave meals for a couple of months!!
Anyway, here’s the video I did with Ovenpride (you’ll need Facebook open and logged in to view it).
Have a great weekend everyone xx
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped/grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped/crushed
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into small florets
- Juice of 2 limes
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 red chilli – chopped (discard the seeds if you don’t like it too hot)
- Small bunch spring onions/scallions chopped
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying. Mix the salt and pepper with the cornflour and toss the chicken strips in the cornflour until completely coated. When the oil is hot, tip the chicken in and fry until golden brown and crispy. You may need to do this in two batches. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the pan and place in a bowl lined with kitchen roll to soak up excess fat.
- There should still be left some oil in the pan at this point. You need about 1 tbsp, so carefully discard some if you have more than that. Take the pan off the heat and add in the ginger and garlic (the garlic will burn if you have it on the heat), give it a stir for 30 seconds and then add the broccoli and chopped chilli to the pan.
- Straight away, mix the lime juice, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl, then pour onto the broccoli in the pan. Turn up the heat and let it bubble for a couple of minutes until the sauce starts to reduce a little and the broccoli cooks through. Add the chicken back in, give it a stir and heat through for 1 minute, then add half the spring onions. Give it a quick stir and then serve with boiled rice. Garnish with the rest of the spring onions and more chopped chillies.
Tools used (fyi these are affiliate links – which means if you buy the product I get a small commission (at no extra cost to you). If you do buy, then thank you! That’s what helps me to keep Kitchen Sanctuary running x)
|Swift Spice Wok||Citrus Reamer|