Cream of Broccoli soup – with a couple of other veggies thrown in, then topped with bacon for good measure!
Oh. My. Yum.
Do you know how many veggies I can eat when they’re whizzed up with cream and cheese and then topped with bacon?
A whole lot.
I’m probably getting a reputation for ruining the nutritious effects of healthy stuff. Monday I wilted spinach in bacon fat for those Stuffed Cheesy Breads, a couple of weeks ago it was the fresh orange slices smothered in orange butter sauce and cream for those pancakes, and not long before that I was sprinkling my dried fruit and nuts all over a large layer of melted chocolate.
I always tut when my kids want to cover their porridge in honey or dip their strawberries in Nutella, but I guess I’ve just figured out where they get it from (guilty blush).
So rather than pondering on my failings as a health concious 36-year-old let’s change the subject completely and talk GIVEAWAY!
Today I’ve joined Beth from Food Fashion and Fun (thanks for organising Beth!) and a team of lovely blogger friends to give you the opportunity to win $700 in Amazon vouchers!
It’s open to those aged 18 and over in the US, and also the UK and Canada (the amount will be converted to GBP or CAD if the winner is based in the UK or Canada).
It runs until 27th January, and all you need to do is complete one or more of the actions below to enter. The more actions you complete, the more times you can enter (and some you can do up to once a day until the giveaway ends!).
Good Luck Everyone! What would you buy if you won by the way?
I’ve also included links to everyones blogs below the giveaway – check out their blogs, so many yummy recipes!
Oh, one last thing, the full recipe for my broccoli soup is at the bottom of the page.
Good luck again xx
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 regular head of cauliflower, outer leaves discard, chopped into small florets
- 1 large head of brocolli, outer leaves discard, chopped into small florets
- 2 packed cups kale
- 1 litre hot vegetable or chicken stock (either homemade or use 2 stock cubes with water. Use bouillon for gluten free)
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 100g (1 packed cup) mature cheddar, grated
- 60ml (1/4 cup) double (heavy) cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200g (7 oz) bacon lardons
- Also: a drizzle of double (heavy) cream to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onion gently for 4-5 minutes until it starts to go translucent. Add in the cauliflower, broccoli, stock and garlic salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the kale and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Whilst the soup is cooking, dry fry the bacon lardons on a high heat until well browned and crispy (they’ll release fat, so you don’t need to add any to the pan). Once cooked, remove from the heat and place in a bowl.
- Take the soup off the heat and whizz using a hand blender. Put back on the heat, add in the cheese and cream and stir until the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between bowls and swirl in a little cream (about ½ tsp per serving). Sprinkle on the bacon lardons and a little black pepper before serving.