A touch of white chocolate with creamy cashews, coconut milk and a few other nutritious goodies make this a lovely, warming winter breakfast.
The cold weather is starting to draw in (at least in the UK anyway), and I don’t know about you, but I have zero motivation to start my morning off with an icy cold smoothie!
I made this one originally for the lovely Lucy’s Craftberry Bush blog, and she’s kindly letting me share it with you guys too.
My hot smoothies are delicious and comforting, but can be packed full of nutrients too.
This version is so good for you – oats, nuts, maca powder (that’s optional, but adds a mild butterscotch taste), banana, coconut and coconut milk. There’s also just a little bit of chocolate in there to add a touch of sweetness.
It’s so smooth and creamy that you’ll feel like you’re drinking something sinful!
Before you jump in to make one of these yummy breakfast smoothies – please note that for this recipe I don’t add any hot liquids to my smoothie maker.
Most of the ingredients are blended cold, and the coconut milk and white chocolate is heated up separately and then mixed together at the end. Its definitely not a good idea to add any hot liquids to your smoothie maker (it’s either going to shatter the glass (if you have a glass jug) or it’s going to come wushing out with a tonne of pressure when you open the lid after whizzing things up).
So don’t put that smoothie maker away until next Summer. I’ll be using mine right through Autumn and Winter!
- 2 large or 4 small chunks white Chocolate
- 2 + ½ cups fresh Coconut milk (the refrigerated kind such as Apro – as opposed to canned coconut milk)
- 6 tbsp Oats
- 1 ripe Banana (the riper the better)
- 2 tsp Maca powder (optional)
- 20 Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Toasted coconut (simply place unsweetened coconut flakes in a hot oven for 1 minute to brown - but be careful, they burn quickly)
- Add the white chocolate to a jug, and pour in 2 cups of the coconut milk. Microwave until the mixture is hot and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Place the oats, banana, maca powder, cashew nuts, 1 tbsp of the toasted coconut, and the ½ cup of cold coconut milk into your smoothie maker or blender (don't add any hot liquid to your smoothie maker or blender).
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and have been completely incorporated (add and extra splash of cold coconut milk or water if it's looking too thick to blend properly).
- Divide the blended oat mixture between two cups and stir in the hot milk/chocolate mix. Top with the remaining toasted coconut and serve.