Looking for ways to jazz up your oatmeal?
I don’t mind porridge/oatmeal, but I’m definitely a toppings girl.
I think it comes from the same part of my brain that used to dislike risotto. Mouthful after mouthful of the same taste. Even if it’s good, it’s going to be boring after the fifth forkful.
Then I discovered toppings! Like the crispy garlic crumbs on my creamy tomato risotto. That was a revelation that led to a whole new risotto-eating Nicky.
So now I think of porridge in the same way. Hmmm what toppings shall I have today?
I even add extra toppings to my granola half the time. Like the mini coconut macaroons and extra fruit on this breakfast:
In fact, having just had a quick (ahem 20 minutes probably isn’t that quick, but i’m easily distracted) peruse through my pinterest board, I think I may be obessed!
Toppings of crispy onions, bacon, coconut, pomegranate, candied nuts……the list goes on……
Wow. I guess everything just tastes better with toppings.
This fully loaded porridge is covered in chopped strawberries and banana, then swirled with dark melted chocolate and Greek yogurt, and finally sprinkled with a few Chia seeds.
A delicious breakfast to set you up for the day with a smile on your face.
- 100g whole rolled oats (check they're gluten free oats if required)
- 520ml milk
- 1 small banana, sliced into rounds, then sliced again into half moons
- 6 strawberries, sliced into rounds, then sliced again into half moons
- 2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 20g dark chocolate, melted (melt in the microwave in 20 second bursts, stirring in between each burst) - check it's gluten free is required
- 1 tsp Chia seeds
- Place the rolled oats and milk in a pan and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly until the porridge is thick and creamy.
- Pour the porridge out into two bowls. Place the sliced bananas on top, in a pattern around the edge of the bowl (see picture), place a piece of strawberry on top of each piece of banana.
- Spoon the Greek yogurt in the centre of the bowls in 4-5 small dollops, the spoon out the melted chocolate in 4-5 small dollops. Use a cocktail stick to swirl the chocolate and Greek Yogurt around.
- Top with Chia seeds and serve.